January 9 (Monday) 7:30 pm - March 20 (Monday) 9:00 pm
Parkside Community College
Parkside, Cambridge, CB1 1EH
length of course
Brief Description The course will introduce you to the basics of Chinese pronunciation, characters, sentence structures and cultural background through a variety of reading, writing, listening and speaking materials and activities.
The course will introduce you to the basics of Chinese pronunciation, characters, sentence structures and cultural background through a variety of reading, writing, listening and speaking materials and activities. After completing the course, you will be expected to be able to engage in simple daily conversation on the topics covered. You are also encouraged to write Chinese characters and get a better appreciation of their components and their often ideographic origin. The course is priced for 10 weeks (one term); To complete the full course and cover all the learning outcomes listed below you will need to attend 3 terms (there is no obligation to attend more than one term).
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
This course will be in the second term – please see the outcomes below for the first term. If you are familiar with them, you would be suitable to join. If you are unsure, contact the office and the administrator can pass your queries onto the tutor.
By the end of the course, you will have the opportunity to
- Learn the Chinese Pinyin; origin of the Chinese characters
- Greet people, introduce yourself and talk about your family
- Meet people and ask them questions with regard to their nationality, native language
- Talk about and order food
- Learn numbers in Chinese and the cultural meanings they may have
- Tell the time, talk about your routines
- Say the days of the week, dates and months of the year
- Talk about one’s age and birthday
- Talk about weather
- Talk about one’s job
- Talk about hobbies
- Money—and learn to bargain in Chinese!
- Transport and Travel
- Visiting a doctor
Extra costs on the course for example, textbook, materials or equipment
Recommended but not required:
- Kuaile Hanyu Student Book Vol 1; ISBN-10: 7107171267; People’s Education Press (approx. £15 from Amazon), a very good textbook with the drawback that there is just English translation for the vocabulary but not for the dialogues
- Easy Learning Mandarin Chinese Characters: Trusted Support for Learning (Collins Easy Learning) ISBN-10: 0008196044 (approx. £10 from Amazon)
For the first session you will need to bring:
Pen and Paper
Recommended: · Get a taste of the origin of Chinese characters by visiting: https://hanziyuan.net/
Download this app and play around with it: Pleco
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Enrol on the Chinese (Mandarin) Beginners II course in January.
Adult Learn and Train offer courses through-out the year.
Try similar courses or maybe look at learning something completely new.
You will find provision on some Saturday and Sunday’s , you will also find courses available in the day and evening at different venues in Cambridge. Courses vary in length from one-off sessions to 10 weeks or more
TO BOOK YOUR PLACE
£120 (£72 concession) To book your place please call 01223 712340
Longbiao HuHe has taught degree courses in Chinese at Newcastle University and Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. He has been working with in lexicography for over 20 years, having worked on dictionary projects such as the Oxford Chinese Dictionary, Oxford Intermediate Learner's English-Chinese Dictionary, The Oxford Pocket Chinese Dictionary and Collins Mandarin Chinese Dictionary.