April 28 (Tuesday) 12:45 pm - July 7 (Tuesday) 2:45 pm
Coleridge Community College
Radegund Rd, Cambridge CB1 3RJ
length of course
Brief Description: This Basic English course in Cambridge is aimed at learners who only have some basic English. The course will help you to understand and speak English with more confidence
This Basic English course in Cambridge is aimed at learners who only have some basic English. The course will help you to understand and speak English with more confidence and ability. Lessons will focus on language needed for daily life in the UK and topics will include travel, shopping, visiting the doctor, where you live, going to school, sport, and so on. There will be practice for social conversations, and you will improve your vocabulary and learn to speak grammatically. The lessons will include some basic grammar, speaking and listening, pronunciation work, reading and writing. There is no formal exam associated with this course.
The course is priced per 10 weeks (one term); you will find, as most learners do, that you will need more than one term’s tuition to be prepared for any higher level courses or future exams (if you choose to enter for them). If this is the case you will be offered the opportunity to re-enrol and pay for another term.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
Some basic English is needed. An assessment test is needed for placement purposes. To book an appointment call the office on 01223 712340.
By the end of the 10 week course you will be able to:
• Introduce yourself, get to know one another and your surroundings. Be able to fill in forms.
• Learn and practise language to describe things you do every day and language of time.
• To learn and practise vocabulary and places about food and shopping.
• To talk about your home, services for and problems in the home.
• To talk about your local area and facilities.
• To learn and practise language to describe things you do everyday and language of time.
• Learn vocabulary and language about people, places and language in healthcare. To practise asking and answering questions to describe symptoms, make appointments and understand advice and instructions from others.
• To talk about different types of transport and journeys.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
No course book is required. The tutor will supply you with photocopied material.
For the first session you will need to bring….
Notebook and pen/pencil
There is no exam attached to this course
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
The tutor will advise you.
The Learn and Train office is also able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
TO BOOK YOUR PLACE
Assessment before booking is ESSENTIAL. Please contact the office 01223 712340 to discuss funding and for an assessment.
Sameena ButtSameena is a qualified EFL/ESOL teacher with a BA in English language teaching and English language and a Masters in Applied Linguistics and TESOL. Much of Sameena's teaching experience has beem in the UK but she has also taught Academic English at a University in the UAE. She also works as a UKVI IELTS exam invigilator at the British Council. Sameena has taught accredited classes to teenagers as well as adults, refugees as well as well established learners. Sameena is an empathic tutor who finds it rewarding when learners do well. In her spare time Sameena enjoys any kind of artwork.