2023wed11jan(jan 11)1:00 pmwed22mar(mar 22)3:00 pmPattern Cutting 2 - Daytime£140 (£84 concession) Hands on course using block patterns to create your masterpiecesColeridge Community CollegeDay:Wednesday length of course: 10 weeks
January 11 (Wednesday) 1:00 pm - March 22 (Wednesday) 3:00 pm
Coleridge Community College
Radegund Rd, Cambridge CB1 3RJ
length of course
Brief Description This is the second term of the course; the first term introduced learners to beginners pattern cutting in women’s wear, using block pattern manipulation techniques. After learning initial techniques
This is the second term of the course; the first term introduced learners to beginners pattern cutting in women’s wear, using block pattern manipulation techniques. After learning initial techniques and skills you will produce a set of basic blocks, using your own measurements.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
Previous dressmaking experience will be beneficial.
It is not advised for new learners to join in the 3rd term due to the complicated tasks taught. If you have experience but are unsure if this course is suitable please contact the office to speak with the tutor.
This course will be organised in the following way:
- Draft a half scale skirt block using your own measurements
- Learn how to adapt the block to produce different styles
- Draft a skirt block using your own measurements
- Design and make a skirt
• Draft a complete bodice block using your own measurements
• Learn how to adapt the block to produce different styles
• Design and make a blouse
Term 3 (last 5 weeks)
• Draft a trouser block using your own measurements
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment
1. Sewing kit which includes: stitch scissors, dressmaking shears, steel pins and metric tape measure.
2. Paper scissors, Pritt stick, calico, pattern cutting paper (this can be purchased from the tutor), metre rule, square and ¼ scale pattern master (this will be discussed in the first lesson as they are purchased from Morplan).
3. You will need a sewing machine at home to enable you to complete the homework.
4. Metric Pattern Cutting for Women’s Wear, Winifred Aldrich. The following ISBN numbers are the best issues: ISBN 978-1-4051-7567-8 / 0-7135-2564-9 / 978-0713-525649
For the first session you will need to bring:
You will need to bring a tape measure, scissors, pencil and pen. We will provide A3 paper.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Advanced course, discuss with the tutor.
Adult Learn and Train offer courses through-out the year.
Try similar courses or maybe look at learning something completely new.
You will find provision on some Saturday and Sundays , you will also find courses available in the day and evening at different venues in Cambridge. Courses vary in length from one-off sessions to 10 weeks or more.
TO BOOK YOUR PLACE
£140 (£84 concession) Please call the office on 01223 712340 to book
Sally TilleyI have been dressmaking domestically and commercially for the past 20 years. I studied at Loughborough College of Art and worked briefly as a fashion designer before moving into teaching textiles. Since leaving the industry, I have continued to take on commission work and teach dressmaking and pattern cutting courses.