January 16 (Wednesday) 7:45 pm - March 27 (Wednesday) 9:15 pm
Coleridge Community College
Radegund Rd, Cambridge CB1 3RJ
length of course
Brief Description This course will build upon the knowledge learnt in the first term. This course is a progression from the Improvers course and is suitable for you if have already
This course will build upon the knowledge learnt in the first term. This course is a progression from the Improvers course and is suitable for you if have already studied Italian for at least one and a half years. You will have the opportunity to develop the four language skills to a higher level, enabling you to consolidate and reinforce the language previously learned. The focus will be on conversation and everyday situations. Grammar will also be an important component of the course. The course is based on interactive and communicative methods. A variety of class activities will be used including dialogues, conversation, listening to CDs and viewing the “videocorso” which accompanies the textbook Nuovo Espresso 2 . Class discussions on a variety of topics will take place on a regular basis and you will be strongly encouraged to express your views and opinions. Weekly homework will be set. The course is priced for 10 weeks (one term); To complete the full course and cover all the learning outcomes listed below you will need to attend both terms (there is no obligation to attend more than one term).
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
This is the second term, you should have approximately 15 hours experience covering the following:
● Shopping for clothes and other items
● When I was young (looking at the imperfect tense)
● Describing people (physically and in terms of personality)
● Looking at the verb PIACERE
● Use of the past tense compared to the imperfect
● Expressions of time
● Altered nouns (endings in -ino, -etto, -one)
● Conditional Mode
● Some phrasal expressions (farcela, andarsene)
By the end of the one year course you will have covered the following main topics:
● Making a proposal (accepting and refusing an invitation)
● Travelling and types of holidays
● More on food and eating habits. The Mediterranean diet
● Stare +gerundio (the continuous tense)
● Direct and indirect pronouns and their position in a sentence
● Relative pronouns che and cui
● The verb volerci (= it takes)
● Sports and types of sport which you practice and enjoy
● Work and employment in Italy
● Recounting events
● House and home
● Imperative mode
● Stare per (+ infinitive)
● Impersonal constructions
● Idiomatic expressions
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment
Course book Nuovo Espresso 2
For the first session you will need to bring:
A ring binder, paper, dividers and pens.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Learners will be able to proceed to the Upper Intermediate course after 3 terms of this Intermediate course.
The Adult Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
Olga JoyI am a native Italian speaker. I have studied modern languages at University in Rome and have taught Italian evening classes at all levels for many years as well as teaching Italian in schools in Cambridge. I have worked as an examiner for UCLES and Edexcel and as a translator and interpreter both in Italy and the UK.