(Saturday) 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Parkside Community College
Parkside, Cambridge, CB1 1EH
length of course
Book a place on the course
Brief Description: Make a Precious Metal Silver Clay piece or pendant for a necklace or earrings. Art Clay precious metal clay is easy to use, fun, inspiring and non-toxic. As a beginner
Make a Precious Metal Silver Clay piece or pendant for a necklace or earrings.
Art Clay precious metal clay is easy to use, fun, inspiring and non-toxic. As a beginner you can use ‘tools’ you can find in your kitchen, office, or DIY toolbox.
Art Clay looks and feels much like ordinary sculpting or porcelain clay. What makes it so fantastic is that it consists of extremely fine particles or pure metal (silver or gold), almost like dust, mixed up with a non-toxic organic binder. The binder burns out during firing, leaving you with a pure metal piece.
Art Clay Silver can be fired with glass, some stones and sterling silver. You can fire it with a torch, on a gas stove, or in a kiln.
There are three simple steps to creating your own silver jewellery:
- Shape your piece
- Leave it to dry
- Fire it
That’s it! You now have a pure fine silver piece which just needs polishing up. The fired silver clay can be hallmarked as fine silver at any UK Assay Office.
Previous experience and knowledge needed:
- To understand properties and work with silver metal clay
- To learn how to make molds, design and fabricate items of jewellery from silver metal clay
- To learn how to dry, fire and polish items of metal clay jewellery
- To learn how to file, polish and finish item into a piece of wearable jewellery
ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
Jackie Lucas works from her garden studio in South Cambridge, designing and crafting bespoke items of jewellery using silver, gold, enamel, gemstones and silver metal clay. Jackie exhibits her work as ‘Cloudberry Designs’ at events locally and London. Her work can be seen at Primavera, Kings parade, Cambridge and Things British St. Pancras International Station, London.
What students need to bring:
- closed toe shoes
- paper and pen
- items of interest for inspiration or to make a mold of ..ie, shells, buttons, item of jewellery or item with detail, natural product from nature.