2023tue19sep(sep 19)12:15 pmtue17oct(oct 17)3:15 pmUpholstery - Afternoon£134 (£106 concession) Bring your own furniture to this practical course. Check furniture suitability with the tutor before your first class.St Augustine of CanterburyDay:Tuesday length of course: 5 weeks
September 19 (Tuesday) 12:15 pm - October 17 (Tuesday) 3:15 pm
St Augustine of Canterbury
Richmond Road, Cambridge CB4 3PS
length of course
PLEASE NOTE EARLIER START DATE AND DURATION CHANGED FROM PROGRAMME (24.7.23) Brief Description Upcycle your furniture and bring new life to an old favourite with this Upholstery course! This is a practical
PLEASE NOTE EARLIER START DATE AND DURATION CHANGED FROM PROGRAMME (24.7.23)
Upcycle your furniture and bring new life to an old favourite with this Upholstery course! This is a practical course for both beginners and advanced learners. You will start with a ‘drop in’ seat, simple chair or stool and progress to more complex projects such as an armchair or headboard. This course will include both traditional and modern upholstery techniques.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
No previous experience required. Contact tutor for suitability – email@example.com
By the end of the
course you will be able to:
• Learn and use the basic principles of reupholstering
• Learn to use correctly different tools and materials of upholstery
• Treat and make good show wood
• Measure and estimate amount of top fabric needed for the project
• Strip and re-upholster correctly a drop-in dining chair, pin-cushion chair, a basic stool, a sprung stuff chair
• Complete a basic chair and progress to a more complicated chair, such as a nursing chair, cocktail chair.
Contact the tutor – Hong Tan for suitability – firstname.lastname@example.org
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment
Cost will depend on materials necessary for each individual project.
1) A basic set of tools such a tack lifter, wooden mallet, magnetic head hammer, pliers, measuring tape, notebook and pen
2) A regulator, double pointed needles and curved needles of various sizes (can be purchased from tutor
3) Upholstery materials such as foam, coir, tacks, waddings (can be purchased from tutor).
4) Book: Upholstery by Malcolm Hopkins. ISBN: 978-1-5048-0002-0 (Approx. £13 from new)
For the first session you will need to bring:
For the first session you will need to bring in your project – a chair, measuring tape, note book and pen
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Progress to more advanced upholstery techniques; you may also discuss with your tutor how you want to advance your skills.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
TO BOOK YOUR PLACE
£134 (£106 concession) To book please call the office on 01223 712340 to pay with your card
Hong TanI am an experienced tutor who for the last 20 years has been teaching upholstery, cabinet making and craft related subjects including jewellery and cookery, from City & Guilds accredited courses to community education. I also take private commissions in my spare time.