Upcycle your furniture and bring new life to an old favourite! This is a practical course for both beginners and advanced learners. You will start with a ‘drop in’ seat, simple chair or stool and progress to more complex projects such as an armchair or headboard. This course will include both traditional and modern upholstery techniques.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
No previous experience required. Contact tutor for suitability – email@example.com
By the end of the 9 week course participants will be able to:
• Learn and use the basic principles of reupholstering
• Learn to use correctly different tools and materials of upholstery
• Treat and make good show wood
• Measure and estimate amount of top fabric needed for the project
• Strip and re-upholster correctly a drop-in dining chair, pin-cushion chair, a basic stool, a sprung stuff chair
• Complete a basic chair and progress to a more complicated chair, such as a nursing chair, cocktail chair.
Contact the tutor – Hong Tan for suitability – firstname.lastname@example.org
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment
Cost will depend on materials necessary for each individual project.
1) A basic set of tools such a tack lifter, wooden mallet, magnetic head hammer, pliers, measuring tape, notebook and pen
2) A regulator, double pointed needles and curved needles of various sizes (can be purchased from tutor
3) Upholstery materials such as foam, coir, tacks, waddings (can be purchased from tutor).
4) Book: Upholstery by Malcolm Hopkins. ISBN: 978-1-5048-0002-0 (Approx. £13 from new)
For the first session you will need to bring:
For the first session you will need to bring in your project – a chair, measuring tape, note book and pen
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Progress to more advanced upholstery techniques; you may also discuss with your tutor how you want to advance your skills.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.